Established in 1956, the Skylark Diner is one of the oldest, continuously open restaurants in the Southern Tier of New York State. It was one of four restaurants opened by Orval Stevens in the area. The Skylark was a custom ordered, prebuilt diner car manufactured in New Jersey and shipped to Vestal, NY by train. The Diner came equipped with all of its furnishings, equipment, and fixtures, many of which are still present to this day. In the early 1960s, the Skylark underwent a major renovation that saw the addition of a larger dining room to the back of the building and a new roof and awning that tied the old building together with the new addition. Although no longer visible, the original dining car building still exists under the current red metal roof.
Today the tradition of “Fine Foods” and “Friendly Atmosphere” continues under the third generation of the Stevens Family.